I'm Jennifer Raye.
My work (and this site) is intended to help you live a deeply healthy life, summon your spiritual potential, and expand your happiness.
As a licensed Traditional Chinese Medicine herbalist, acupuncturist, and holistic nutritionist I practice an integrative and holistic form of medicine. Learn about private sessions here.
As an E-RYT 500 yoga teacher the movement I teach is mindful, therapeutic, and an alignment based practice, influenced by my study of anatomy, yoga therapy, Buddhist contemplative practices, and a deep understanding of the energetic body as outlined by Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. Learn more about my yoga classes here.
When I'm not teaching and traveling I'm based on beautiful Vancouver Island where I live with my husband and where I run my private medical practice.
I offer private sessions, skype coaching calls, classes, workshops, trainings and retreats; locally, abroad, and through my online programs.
I wasn’t always healthy and happy.
During my teen years and into my early 20’s I struggled with emotional highs and lows and chronic pain. I took anti-depressants and anti-inflammatory medications and I often dipped into periods of unbalance and unhappiness. I now believe I was misdiagnosed and over medicated. Now don't get me wrong... sometimes we need western medical attention and medication. In my private medical practice I work with lots of clients who are combining a conventional and alternative approach. But for me, at that time, western medicine didn't help much. As I explored what it would take for me to be truly healthy and happy... I found answers that transformed my life and health.
We all have natural wisdom and a powerful capacity for healing within.
My deepest intention is to find a heart based connection with clients and students. One in which we can explore what true health means for you.
Many of my clients return regularly for maintenance treatments and consultations after an initial health problem. I believe much of the power in what I do relies on this consistency and relationship that is cultivated and developed over time.
Beyond working with clients and students privately I also teach and offer my work and service within a variety of other contexts.
As a faculty member of Pacific Rim College of Integrative Medicine I've taught a number of holistic nutrition classes and student clinics. I teach in the advanced yoga therapy training at Ajna Yoga which is one of only twelve schools certified internationally to train yoga therapists.
I'm especially grateful to have taught alongside my Buddhist teachers Thanissara and Kittisaro in South Africa during their annual month long silent retreat and for my time volunteering in rural Nepal with the Acupuncture Relief Project (watch the documentary).
I'm the creator of Mindful Yin Yoga Online, an online training program for yoga students and teachers who want to deepen their practice and study of yin yoga.
I also founded the Yoga Cleanse Retreat which runs cleansing retreats in Canada and Costa Rica.
Partial Listing of Formal Education and Experience:
- Doctorate of Traditional Chinese Medicine (5 yr. full time program comprised of western medical sciences, diagnostic skills and clinical training). In depth study included: gynaecology, internal medicine, chronic and stress related illness, dermatology, paediatrics, orthopaedics and sports medicine.
- Internship at Liaoning University Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Shen Yang, China
- Licensed Practitioner of Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture and Cupping (R.TCMP and R.Ac.)
- Certified with the highest Yoga Alliance designation E-RYT 500 (experienced yoga teacher qualified to lead teacher trainings) and supported by over a decade of personal practice, study, and silent retreat with a focus on Yin Yoga, Yoga Therapy, Prajna Yoga, Theravadin Buddhism, Yoga Nidra, Restorative Yoga, Iyengar and Alignment based Yoga systems.
- Certified through several advanced multi-year yoga and mindfulness teacher trainings with over 3000 hours of yoga teacher training. Trainings are too numerous to list but include highly regarded programs such as the 500 hr. Spirit Rock Mindful Yoga and Meditation Teacher Training, 500 hr. Insight Yoga Institute Teacher Training, and the 500 hr. Prajna Yoga Teacher Training.
- Primary teachers, mentors and/or influences include Thanissara and Kittisaro, Tias and Surya Little, Jill Satterfield, Jennifer and John Welwood, and Sarah Powers. I have learned from many additional teachers including Richard Miller, Chandra Easton, Phillip Moffatt, Anne Cushman, Michael Stone, and Frank Jude Boccio.
- Completed in depth study of holistic nutrition with Paul Pitchford author of "Healing with Whole Foods"
- Two years of full time western herbal medicine study and mentorship with a master herbalist and aromatherapist based at Wild Rose College.
- Teaches in a variety of contexts including being faculty in the Holistic Nutrition program at Pacific Rim College of Integrative Medicine and an ongoing faculty member with the Ajna Advanced Yoga Therapy teacher training.
- Maintains a private medical practice in Victoria, BC
- Volunteers with various organizations offering service; including community acupuncture at “OUR place” shelter and working internationally with the Acupuncture Relief Project at a primary health care clinic in rural Nepal.