A wonderful miso soup to enjoy on a chilly winter day. It's even a great breakfast meal.
- 4-5 cups water
- 1-2 inch strip of wakame, rinsed and soaked 5 minutes in 1 cup of water, until softened
- 1 cup thinly sliced diakon radish
- 2 cups leafy greens (kale, dandelion or collards)
- 2-3 teaspoons barley miso
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Chop soaked wakame.
- Discard soak water or use on houseplants for the minerals.
- Place water and wakame in a soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Add diakon first and simmer gently for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add leafy vegetables and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from pot and dissolve miso into it.
- Return it to the pot.
- Reduce heat to very low; do not boil or simmer miso broth.
- Allow soup to cook 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with scallions and serve.