Sometimes treating ourselves is healthy. I recently made this almond polenta cake and it was a hit. The addition of polenta instead of the usual wheat flour is a nice change and the almond flavor adds such a nice touch. What a wonderful way to spend the holidays.
Almond Polenta Cake
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup stone ground polenta
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup almond milk/soy milk
- 1 tsp. powdered sugar and slivered almonds for glaze
- Butter cake pan (especially nice in a bundt cake pan)
- Mix butter and sugar until smooth
- Add eggs, almond extract and zest then the flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt.
- Add milk and mix until smooth.
- Scrape batter into pan and bake about 40 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.
- For the glaze: Mix powdered sugar with a little water. Pour mixture on top of cake and garnish with slivered almonds.